May 16, 2016

Weight Loss Update: Miles At A Time



It seems I have made a triumphant breakthrough in my walking & running, and it only happened recently!

Okay, let me back up. On May 4th (which was a Wednesday), I decided that I would walk to the local H-E-B and get Mom her Mother's Day present. She has asked for hanging baskets and I knew that H-E-B Plus! would have them. But because we don't have a car and I don't have a bicycle yet, my dad and I walked over 2 miles to the store. The sun was high and the temperature was in the mid 80's but I knew it was the only chance I would get to go.

Walking there was a breeze, and it was actually kind of fun. It was a new route from what I normally take, and I hadn't been inside the store in a while. (I wanted to take home some new porch furniture but at $500 a pop, I could not only afford it, getting it home might have been a little difficult.)

Once we left, walking home a bit more difficult. I was tired, hot, and I was dying for something cold to drink. But I made it home without any problems, and after that, I started walking longer distances.

The next time I went running, I knew that if I could walk 2 miles one way without being overly tired, I could certainly run a mile without any problems. I made the cardinal mistake of wearing sweatpants in 90* humidity, and when I got home, I was ready for put myself in an ice bath for the rest of the evening. But my sweatpants oops aside, it really wasn't that difficult.

I have realized that the more I walk or run longer distances, the more I know I can handle maybe another half mile the next time.

As far as losing weight, I may need to go down one more size. Which sounds great, but I had JUST bought clothes one size up. My shoes are starting to feel a little loose (but I plan on getting a new pair in June), though I haven't decided if it's because I'm losing weight, they are getting worn out, or a combination of both. Either way, what girl doesn't love a new pair of shoes?

Once I can condition myself to not feel like fainting when I run in hotter temperatures or get so tired, I may try my hand at a smaller marathon and then work my way up to the larger ones.

Not only am I losing weight, I find myself happier after a long walk or run. I rarely return home in a bad mood. I have found happiness in exercise.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Anything you would like to say?

Please be kind to others. Debates are okay, but do not attack anyone. Comments abusive in nature will be removed without notice.