Check us out on social media!

The Ultimate Cheat Sheet On Giving Up Soda

Image courtesy of [Gualberto107] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

If you think about it, soda is every where. It can be in our cocktails. It is available in every store. It is even in our refrigerators.

Somehow, I found myself addicted to soda. After eating breakfast, I would grab a cold can from the fridge and carry it back to my desk for later, when I needed a pick-me-up. After a while, I found out that the caffeine wouldn't do anything for me and I craved the taste more than anything else. But I also knew that having 1-2 cans of soda a day wasn't exactly healthy for me, even if I drank almost a gallon of water a day. The soda would leave me feeling sluggish and ready for an afternoon nap. So I decided that I would swear off soda for as long as I could.

Want to join me in the "soda-free" crusades? Here are a few things to keep in mind:

  • Don't feel you have to give it up cold turkey. Every day, drink less and less soda until you stop drinking it altogether.
  • If you need caffeine, drink tea or coffee. Both drinks have caffeine, but are much healthier for you.
  • There are some alternatives if you crave the carbonation and flavor. You can try fruit juices with a spritz of sparkling water or seltzer, water kefir, homemade sodas, or even just sparkling water.
  • Healthier alternative drinks include smoothies and milkshakes made at home, water (of course), black or green tea, sugar-free lemonade, iced coffee, and homemade fruit juices. Remember: Artificial sweeteners are NOT healthy for you, either. There are plenty of other fruits that will give you a sweet taste without causing harm.
If you find yourself craving a soda and not sure if you can keep yourself from drinking one, take a swig of water. The craving should pass. If it doesn't, try to stay distracted. It will keep your mind off the fact you want that soda so badly. Trust me- when I am craving a soda and I know we have them in the fridge, it takes everything I have not to go swipe on! But you can do it!

I am not sure how long I will last on this "No Soda" challenge, but because I want to get healthier this year, I know cutting sodas from my diet will help with that!


1 comment:

Comments abusive in nature will be removed without notice.