Jan 20, 2014

The Ultimate Cheat Sheet On Giving Up Soda

Image courtesy of [Gualberto107] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

If you think about it, soda is every where. It can be in our cocktails. It is available in every store. It is even in our refrigerators.

Somehow, I found myself addicted to soda. After eating breakfast, I would grab a cold can from the fridge and carry it back to my desk for later, when I needed a pick-me-up. After a while, I found out that the caffeine wouldn't do anything for me and I craved the taste more than anything else. But I also knew that having 1-2 cans of soda a day wasn't exactly healthy for me, even if I drank almost a gallon of water a day. The soda would leave me feeling sluggish and ready for an afternoon nap. So I decided that I would swear off soda for as long as I could.

Want to join me in the "soda-free" crusades? Here are a few things to keep in mind:

  • Don't feel you have to give it up cold turkey. Every day, drink less and less soda until you stop drinking it altogether.
  • If you need caffeine, drink tea or coffee. Both drinks have caffeine and are much healthier for you.
  • There are some alternatives if you crave the carbonation and flavor. You can try fruit juices with a spritz of sparkling water or seltzer, water kefir, homemade sodas, or even just sparkling water.
  • Healthier alternative drinks include smoothies and milkshakes made at home, water (of course), black or green tea, sugar-free lemonade, iced coffee, and homemade fruit juices. Remember: Artificial sweeteners are NOT healthy for you, either. There are plenty of other fruits that will give you a sweet taste without causing harm.
If you find yourself craving a soda and not sure if you can keep yourself from drinking one, take a swig of water. The craving should pass. If it doesn't, try to stay distracted. It will keep your mind off the fact you want that soda so badly. Trust me- when I am craving a soda and I know we have them in the fridge, it takes everything I have not to go swipe on! But you can do it!

I am not sure how long I will last on this "No Soda" challenge, but because I want to get healthier this year, I know cutting sodas from my diet will help with that!


1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Anything you would like to say?

Please be kind to others. Debates are okay, but do not attack anyone. Comments abusive in nature will be removed without notice.