Jan 28, 2014

What was I thinking?


A week or two ago, I mentioned that I was giving up soda. It seemed like a good idea at first. I was even proud of myself when I turned down soda when someone asked if I want one. Of course, I would slip up and have a soda, especially if the craving was REALLY strong. If that happened, I wouldn't make myself feel bad for having one. I would just say, "I think I can be stronger next time.". So far, I have been doing really well- sort of.

I don't know what possessed me to think I can go days without caffeine, especially if it was part of my morning. I would eat breakfast, grab a cold soda from the fridge, and carry it back to my area for when I was awake enough to comprehend the cold soda. Now that I no longer drink soda, I am without my caffeine! Yes, I have noticed differences- the good, the bad, and the ugly. The good? I don't feel as sluggish or have that caffeine drop I would usually have an hour or so after the caffeine wears off. The bad? I feel a lot more sleepy in the morning because I don't have the caffeine. I know some would suggest coffee. Not a coffee drinker. Love the smell. Hate the taste. The ugly? There are some moments when I am craving a soda, I get a tad grumpy because I know I won't have that caffeine feeling I want so badly. I try to avoid any living thing (people and pets included) until that craving passes. The last thing I want is for some poor unsuspecting person to feel my caffeine-wanting wrath. 

I know you could get addicted to caffeine and soda. I knew that going through caffeine withdrawal is hard. I feel like I'm going crazy sometimes. Is that normal? *insert nervous laugh here* I drink tea, but as an ex-soda drinker, I know there isn't a lot of caffeine in my sweet tea. I've been drinking tea for so long, I hardly feel any effects of the caffeine, if there so be any.   

It's not easy, getting off soda. It is darn hard. But I will tell you something: If I can make it to July without having a soda or going totally overboard (We have holidays and birthdays coming up. It might be a tad difficult to ignore that sugary goodness.), I will hold a $50 giveaway. What do you think?


1 comment:

  1. I think your attitude about giving it up is probably the right way to approach giving anything up. I know that all or nothing thinking never usually works out in my favor, so when I decided to give up soda and other caffeinated drinks, I didn't exactly make it a priority, I just decided to see if I can skip out on it whenever I have the chance. And I totally feel you on the feeling drowsy during the morning or early afternoon; I have the same problem. Sometimes if I really feel extra drowsy I drink a little bit of coffee (maybe 1-2 a month), but most days I get by on drinking flavored water or something else like fruit bars or spicy snacks to sort of perk me up. I wish you all the best of making it to July without going overboard!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Anything you would like to say?

Please be kind to others. Debates are okay, but do not attack anyone. Comments abusive in nature will be removed without notice.