Oct 20, 2013
Important Halloween Safety Tips!
1. Look both ways before crossing the street. Use established crosswalks wherever possible. Some adults even forget this important rule!
2. Avoid trick-or-treating alone. Walk in groups or with someone you trust. Parents- do not let children run off.
3. Only visit well-lit houses. Don't stop at dark houses. Never accept rides from strangers.
4. Keep candle-lit jack o'lanterns and luminaries away from doorsteps, walkways, landings, and curtains. Place them on sturdy tables, keep them out of the reach of pets and small children, and never leave them unattended.
5. If you are driving or the passenger, remind everyone to be careful of trick-or-treaters.
6. Swords, knives, and similar costume accessories should be short, soft, and flexible. In the event that the accessory is not soft, do not fling it around.
7. For communities doing "Trunk or Treat", make sure decorations do not cause anyone to trip or fall.
8. Fasten reflective tape to costumes/clothing or carry a flashlight so others can see you.
9. Wear comfortable yet sturdy shoes.
10. DO not eat the candy until it has met parental approval. Do not accept homemade goodies from people you or your family does not know.
Last but certainly not least: Do NOT go into a stranger's house. If you do not know them or your family doesn't know them, stay away and tell someone you trust.
One more I forgot: Keep all candy away from small children who can't chew and pets. Chocolate is toxic to most animals.
How does your family stay safe on Halloween?