Celebrating Valentine's Day does not have to cost you anything! There are a lot of ways you can make the day special without spending a penny.
- Have a date night at home- Don't spend money on overpriced movie tickets and tips when you can create a gourmet dinner (within your skills, of course) at home and watch a movie on Netflix! To make it even more romantic, have your husband/boyfriend/etc. help in the kitchen!
- Create your own gifts- If you're a crafter, this should be easy for you! Even for non-crafters, finding a Valentine's Day craft is just as easy as using Google to search for "Valentine's Day craft gifts". Homemade gifts are the best and if you already have all the supplies, it didn't cost you anything and it comes from the heart!
- Talk under the stars- I know some couples who are more focused on each other than the actual gifts they receive on February 14th. If you want to connect more with your sweetie, have a picnic under the stars and spend the night just talking to each other. If you'd rather get active, take an evening stroll together and talk. Maybe you'll learn something about each other you never knew!
- Valentine Vouchers- Print Valentine's Day coupons and write in stuff like "Free back massage", "Free diaper change for a week", "One week of me making dinner", etc. Present them at dinner with a card for a nice surprise!
- Go dancing- Many cities offer FREE dancing lessons! If you've always wanted to learn to dance, call your local dance theater or newspaper a few days before to check if your local area offers free dance lessons.
- Massage away- After dinner, give each other massages to help relax. It's a great way to bond.
Nowadays, couples aren't the only ones getting into Valentine's Day. Families are finding ways to celebrate the day that are kid-friendly!
- Picnic in the park- Weather permitting, have an early dinner in the park (before the sun goes down) and just have fun exploring! It's a great way for kids to learn and it's great exercise.
- Crafting- Spend the afternoon making Valentine's Day crafts. You can even print out some Valentine's coloring pages and let the children be creative in their coloring!
- Special Breakfast- Before everyone wakes up, create a special breakfast that you wouldn't normally have and place printed Valentine's place cards at each setting so they are surprised when they wake up!
- Make it a movie night- Let the children choose at least 2 movies they all love and spend time watching them as a family. Serve popcorn (or healthy snacks) along with drinks. Turn off the lights and put blankets/pillows on the floor so that everyone is super comfortable.
- Banner away- Take some sheets of construction paper/printer paper, markers, and tape to create a Valentine's Day banner to put in the living room!
- "I Love You"- Even if you never remember them, spending an hour or so learning to say "I Love You" in different languages! It'll be fun trying to pronounce them all! (FYI: Some of these might be a doozy!)
What are some ways you celebrate Valentine's Day without spending any money?